If you’re a student pilot who is dreaming of getting your private pilot license, you already know that starting from zero and learning all about aerodynamics, engines, electric systems, flight systems, and the many other things you need to know can be a real challenge. The material is hardly exciting and the concepts can be hard to understand.
Some online ground schools do a better job than others at breaking down these difficult concepts in a way that you can easily understand and will stick. But, in our opinion, Rod Machado does it the best.
Therefore, the best online ground school is Rod Machado’s 40-Hour Private Pilot eLearning Ground School Course – a sentiment that many flight instructors and private pilot license holders agree on.
Why Rod Machado’s Elearning Course is the Best Online Private Pilot Ground School
If you enroll in a traditional single-semester, college aviation ground school, there is little doubt that you will learn everything you need to know to pass the private pilot written exam. But this usually comes at great expense and with a hefty time commitment.
Fortunately, Rod’s course manages to present the same material in great depth at a much lower price, and in a manner that lets you work at your own pace, in your own time, while also being able to refer back to everything whenever you want.
In total, the course features 26 modules, spanning 40 hours, that covers the following:
- Aerodynamics: The Wing is the Thing (3.9 Hrs)
- Engines: Knowledge of Engines Is Power (3.45 Hrs)
- Electrical Systems: Knowing What’s Watt (.5 Hrs)
- Flight Instruments: Clocks, Tops & Toys (2.5 Hrs)
- Federal Aviation Regulations: How FAR Can We Go? (4.6 Hrs)
- Airport Operations: No Doctor Needed (2.45 Hrs)
- Radio Operations: Aviation Spoken Here (1.4 Hrs)
- Airspace: The Wild Blue, Green and Red Yonder (3.5 Hrs)
- Aviation Maps: The Art of the Chart (.85 Hrs)
- Radio Navigation: The Frequency Flyer Program (1.9 Hrs)
- Understanding Weather: Looking for Friendly Skies (5.8 Hrs)
- Weather Charts and Briefings: PIREPS, Progs and METARS (3.1 Hrs)
- Flight Planning: Getting There From Here (3.2 Hrs)
- Airplane Performance Charts: Know Before You Go (1.7 Hrs)
- Weight and Balance: Let’s Wait and Balance (1.4 Hrs)
- Pilot Potpourri: Neat Aeronautical Information (2.5 Hrs)
As it currently stands, you also get bonus material that consists of:
- Rod Machado’s Private Pilot eHandbook (a $49.95 value)
- Rod Machado’s Private Pilot eWorkbook (a $19.95 value)
- Rod Machado’s How to Fly an Airplane eHandbook (a $44.95 value)
- Rod Machado’s Plane Talk eBook (a $24.95 value)
- Rod Machado’s Stick and Rudder Flight Training Syllabus
- Rod Machado’s Ground School Syllabus
Engaging Presentation of Content
To say that studying to learn how to fly isn’t nearly as exciting as actually getting inside the cockpit and flying a plane might be the understatement of the century.
Thankfully, Rod manages to take the pain out of studying due to the engaging manner in which the content is presented.
It is never dry or boring thanks to the widely animated and highly interactive way in which the material is presented, as well as the generous use of images and diagrams on nearly every page in the case of the bonus eBook material. Rod is even successful in throwing in some humor for good measure too and to further help keep you engaged.
To make sure what you learn sticks, at the end of each lesson there are several knowledge questions that are similar to those that you will find on the FAA exam.
At the end of this course, you are provided with a graduation certificate and endorsement to take the private pilot knowledge exam.
Rod has been teaching students to learn how to fly for decades, so it’s clear that he understands the value and importance of students being able to ask questions and get clarification on certain hard-to-understand topics.
We, therefore, appreciate how Rod himself quickly takes the time to answer any questions you might have in his naturally friendly and helpful style.
Preview the Course
If you’re still undecided, take a look at the following preview to see if how the material is presented resonates with you.