According to TSA regulations, unless the CBD oil “contains no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or is approved by FDA”, it is illegal to bring on a plane.
This means that Epidiolex, which is the only FDA-approved cannabis-derived medication, is legal to bring on a plane and cross state lines while flying, while any other CBD oil product is not allowed if it exceeds 0.3% THC.
When flying domestically in the USA, you do not need to declare that you are flying with CBD oil, either.
But what about other CBD products like creams and gummies – can you bring those on a plane?
Can you bring CBD oil when flying internationally?
Is there a limit to how much CBD oil you can fly with?
Let’s find out.
Table of Contents
- 1 Can You Bring CBD Oil on a Plane?
- 2 Be Careful When Flying Internationally
- 3 You Can Bring CBD Cream on a Plane
- 4 As Well as CBD Gummies
- 5 There is No Quantity Limit of CBD Products
- 6 How to Fly With CBD Products
- 7 Dogs Can Smell CBD Oil at the Airport
- 8 A Medical Marijuana Card Makes No Difference
- 9 Even If You Fly Between Two States Where Weed is Legal
- 10 Edibles Are No Exception
Can You Bring CBD Oil on a Plane?
Carry on Bags
If the CBD oil you want to pack in your carry on contains no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis, you can pack it in your carry on as long as the bottle is no larger than 3.4oz/100ml.
This is due to the TSA’s 3-1-1 rule that prohibits passengers from flying with any liquids, gels and aerosols that exceed 3.4oz/100ml.
Again, as long as the CBD oil contains no more than 0.3 percent THC, it is perfectly fine to bring with you when you fly.
If the oil is in a container that exceeds 3.4oz/100ml, you should pack it in your checked bags, so it won’t be confiscated.
Be Careful When Flying Internationally
When it comes to CBD oil and products containing CBD, different countries have different laws.
- Canada: Canada does not allow travelers to bring any CBD products into the country.
- Mexico: Mexico also does not allow travelers to bring any CBD products into the country.
- Europe: Europe is a big place, but it is generally legal to possess CBD products that contain 0.2% THC or less.
- UK: CBD oil containing 0.2% of THC or less is legal in the UK, so you can bring it into the country.
You Can Bring CBD Cream on a Plane
You can bring CBD cream on a plane in both your carry on and checked bags, as long as the cream contains no more than 0.3% THC.
As Well as CBD Gummies
As long as the CBD gummies don’t contain more than 0.3% THC, you can bring CBD gummies on a plane in both your carry on and checked bags.
There is No Quantity Limit of CBD Products
The TSA does not specify a limit for the quantity of CBD products you can fly with, as long as you comply with the CBD products having no more than 0.3% THC.
The only thing to keep in mind is that if the CBD product is in the form of a liquid, gel or aerosol it must be in a container that is no larger than 3.4oz/100ml to be packed in your carry on.
How to Fly With CBD Products
- Make sure that the CBD oil or any other CBD products you want to bring do not contain more than 0.3% THC.
- Make sure that the percentage of THC is clearly stated on the oil bottle or any other product’s packaging.
- If flying with CBD oil that is in a container that is larger than 3.4oz/100ml, pack it in your checked bag.
- Research the country you are flying to, so you can ensure that CBD oil is not illegal there and that the percentage of THC that is considered legal (0.2% is generally the maximum content allowed when flying internationally)
Dogs Can Smell CBD Oil at the Airport
Dogs can be trained to detect CBD, but airport security are far more concerned with using dogs to sniff out things that pose a real risk to passengers, like explosives.
Having said that, dogs can smell the THC in CBD products.
A Medical Marijuana Card Makes No Difference
As weed is illegal on a federal level and airports and planes are under federal jurisdiction, you cannot bring weed on a plane even if you have a medical marijuana card.
Even If You Fly Between Two States Where Weed is Legal
Weed is illegal on a federal level, so the legality of weed in the state makes no difference.
No exemptions are made for marijuana outside of the state in which the exemption is issued
Edibles Are No Exception
Again, as weed is illegal on a federal level, it is illegal to fly with edibles.
Though we would not recommend it, there is less chance of getting caught with edibles, though, if you package the edibles like any other common food item and ensure they do not smell.
Ella Dunham, a Freelance Travel Journalist and Marketing Manager, boasts an impressive career spanning eight years in the travel and tourism sectors.
Honored as one of "30 Under 30" by TTG Media (the world’s very first weekly travel trade newspaper), a "Tour Operator Travel Guru" and "Legend Award" winner, Ella is also a Fellow of the Institute of Travel, a Member of the Association of Women Travel Executives, has completed over 250 travel modules, and hosts travel-focused segments on national radio shows where she provides insights on travel regulations and destinations.
Ella has visited over 40 countries (with 10 more planned this year).