According to TSA regulations, unless the CBD oil “contains no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis or is approved by FDA”, it is illegal to bring on a plane.
This means that Epidiolex, which is the only FDA-approved cannabis-derived medication, is legal to bring on a plane and cross state lines while flying, while any other CBD oil product is not allowed if it exceeds 0.3% THC.
But what about other CBD products like creams and gummies – can you bring those on a plane?
Can you bring CBD oil when flying internationally?
Is there a limit to how much CBD oil you can fly with?
Let’s find out.
Can You Bring CBD Oil on a Plane?
Carry on Bags
If the CBD oil you want to pack in your carry on contains no more than 0.3 percent THC on a dry weight basis, you can pack it in your carry on as long as the bottle is no larger than 3.4oz/100ml.
This is due to the TSA’s 3-1-1 rule that prohibits passengers from flying with any liquids, gels and aerosols that exceed 3.4oz/100ml.
Again, as long as the CBD oil contains no more than 0.3 percent THC, it is perfectly fine to bring with you when you fly.
If the oil is in a container that exceeds 3.4oz/100ml, you should pack it in your checked bags, so it won’t be confiscated.
Can You Bring CBD Oil on International Flights?
When it comes to CBD oil and products containing CBD, different countries have different laws.
- Canada: Canada does not allow travelers to bring any CBD products into the country.
- Mexico: Mexico also does not allow travelers to bring any CBD products into the country.
- Europe: Europe is a big place, but it is generally legal to possess CBD products that contain 0.2% THC or less.
- UK: CBD oil containing 0.2% of THC or less is legal in the UK, so you can bring it into the country.
Can You Bring CBD Cream on a Plane?
You can bring CBD cream on a plane in both your carry on and checked bags, as long as the cream contains no more than 0.3% THC.
Can You Bring CBD Gummies on a Plane?
As long as the CBD gummies don’t contain more than 0.3% THC, you can bring CBD gummies on a plane in both your carry on and checked bags.
What Quantity of CBD Products Can You Bring on a Plane?
The TSA does not specify a limit for the quantity of CBD products you can fly with, as long as you comply with the CBD products having no more than 0.3% THC.
The only thing to keep in mind is that if the CBD product is in the form of a liquid, gel or aerosol it must be in a container that is no larger than 3.4oz/100ml to be packed in your carry on.
How to Fly With CBD Products
- Make sure that the CBD oil or any other CBD products you want to bring do not contain more than 0.3% THC.
- Make sure that the percentage of THC is clearly stated on the oil bottle or any other product’s packaging.
- If flying with CBD oil that is in a container that is larger than 3.4oz/100ml, pack it in your checked bag.
- Research the country you are flying to, so you can ensure that CBD oil is not illegal there and that the percentage of THC that is considered legal (0.2% is generally the maximum content allowed when flying internationally)
Can Dogs Smell CBD Oil at the Airport?
Dogs can be trained to detect CBD, but airport security are far more concerned with using dogs to sniff out things that pose a real risk to passengers, like explosives.
Having said that, dogs can smell the THC in CBD products.
Do You Have to Declare CBD Oil When Traveling?
When flying domestically in the USA, you do not need to declare that you are flying with CBD oil.
Can You Fly With Weed if You Have a Medical Marijuana Card?
As weed is illegal on a federal level and airports and planes are under federal jurisdiction, you cannot bring weed on a plane even if you have a medical marijuana card.
What Happens if You Fly Between Two States Where Weed is Legal?
Weed is illegal on a federal level, so the legality of weed in the state makes no difference.
No exemptions are made for marijuana outside of the state in which the exemption is issued
Can You Fly With Edibles?
Again, as weed is illegal on a federal level, it is illegal to fly with edibles.
Though we would not recommend it, there is less chance of getting caught with edibles, though, if you package the edibles like any other common food item and ensure they do not smell.
- Can Airport Scanners Detect Weed?
- What Does Weed Look Like On An Airport Scanner?
- Can You Bring a Grinder on a Plane?
- Can You Bring a Dab Pen on a Plane?
- What Happens if the TSA Finds Weed in Your Checked Luggage?
- Can You Bring a Vape on a Plane?
Robert is a seasoned flyer who knows more about commercial air travel than practically anyone else out there due to the time he has spent at airports and on planes over the years for work.