There is no section on the TSA’s website that specifically states whether you can bring crystals on a plane or not.
However, as crystals are not considered a liquid, aerosol, or gel, or pose a security threat in any way, you will be fine bringing crystals on a plane in both your carry on bags and checked bags.
Passengers travel with crystals in their baggage every day without any issue.
Bringing Crystals On Domestic vs International Flights
- Domestic (USA): When flying domestically within the USA, you can bring crystals in both your carry on bags and checked bags.
- UK: The UK does not have any restrictions for traveling with crystals in either your carry on bags or checked baggage.
- Canada: Canada also does not have any restrictions in either your carry on bags or checked baggage.
- EU: You won’t run into any issues flying with crystals when entering the EU or Europe.
- Australia: Australia also does not have any restriction.
As you can tell and will be pleased to know, regardless if you’re flying domestically or internationally, you can take your crystals with you wherever in the world you are flying too. You won’t run into any issues at any international airport in the world.
What is the Best Way of Flying With Crystals?
As there are no restrictions when bringing crystals on a plane in your carry on bags, this is where we suggest you pack them.
Your carry on bags will be far less prone to damage than any items packed in your checked baggage.
However, if for whatever reason you want to pack your crystals in your checked baggage, it would be a good idea to cushion them well.
Wrapping the crystals in a couple of layers of clothes should be good enough to prevent damage.
Can You Bring Gemstones on a Plane?
There are no restrictions for bringing gemstones on a plane, either in your carry on bags or checked bags.
As with crystals, we recommend you pack them in your carry on bags.
Can You Bring Rocks on a Plane?
The TSA state that you can bring rocks on a plane in both your carry on and checked bags.
The final decision will rest with the TSA officer on if an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
The rocks’ size, sharpness and cleanliness will all influence the officer’s decision.