Currently, the U.S. has 11 nuclear-powered aircraft carriers that help the nation to project global power.
During World War II, the U.S. had a staggering 151 carriers, though they pale in comparison to today’s carriers, such as the Bismarck Sea that was just one-tenth the size of the Ford class.
How Many Aircraft Carriers Does the U.S. Have?
U.S. Aircraft Carriers in Service
Currently, the U.S. has 11 aircraft carriers, which is the largest of any country in the world.
The U.S. has 10 Nimitz class aircraft carriers and 1 Ford class carrier.
- The USS Gerald R. Ford
- The USS Nimitz
- The USS Dwight D. Eisenhower
- The USS Carl Vinson
- The USS Theodore Roosevelt
- The USS Abraham Lincoln
- The USS George Washington
- The USS John C. Stennis
- The USS Harry S. Truman
- The USS Ronald Reagan
- The USS George H.W. Bush.
The Nimitz class aircraft carriers are all 332.8 m or 1,091.86ft long, and the USS Gerald Ford is 337 m (1,106 ft) long.
Related: How Long is an Aircraft Carrier?
U.S. Aircraft Carriers in World War II
During World War II, the U.S. had 151 carriers.
12 aircraft carriers were sunk by the enemy, including five fleet carriers, a seaplane tender and six escort carriers
What Was the First U.S. Aircraft Carrier?
Commissioned in March 1922, the USS Langley (CV-1) was the United States’ first aircraft carrier.
The USS Langley measured 542 ft long, and had a displacement of 12,900 tons.
Have Any U.S. Aircraft Carriers Ever Been Sunk?
16 U.S. aircraft carriers have been sunk, from the USS Langley on 27th February 1942, to the USS Oriskany that was purposefully sunk to be used an artificial reef.
The last aircraft carrier to be sunk in combat was the Bismarck Sea in February 1945, that was sunk by two Japanese kamikaze aircraft during the Battle of Iwo Jima.
How Many Aircraft Carriers Are There Worldwide?
In 2022, there are 25 total active aircraft carriers in the world, used by 11 countries.
- Brazil: Brazil has 1 aircraft carrier – the Atlântico.
- China: China has 2 aircraft carriers – Lioning and Shandong.
- France: France has 1 aircraft carrier: – The Charles de Gaulle .
- India: India has 1 aircraft carrier – The INS Vikramaditya.
- Italy: Italy has 2 aircraft carriers – The Cavour and the Giuseppe Garibaldi.
- Japan: Japan has 2 aircraft carriers – The JS Izumo and the JS Kaga .
- Russia: Russia has 1 aircraft carrier – The Admiral Kuznestsov.
- Spain: Spain has 1 aircraft carrier – The Juan Carlos I.
- Thailand: Thailand has 1 aircraft carrier – The HTMS Chakri Naruebet.
- UK: The UK has 2 aircraft carriers – The HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales.
- USA: The United States has 11 aircraft carriers, the largest of any country in the world. The US has 10 Nimitz class aircraft carriers and 1 Ford class carrier.
What is the Most Expensive Aircraft Carrier?
The USS Gerald R.Ford, which is the first Ford-class aircraft carrier, is the most expensive U.S. aircraft carrier, and most expensive aircraft carrier ever built.
The Congressional Research Service estimates the aircraft carrier costs $13.3 billion.
However, the cost of the entire program for building this aircraft, including research and development costs, likely reached close to $37 billion.
What is the Cheapest Aircraft Carrier?
The world’s cheapest aircraft carrier is the HTMS Chakri Naruebet, which cost the Thai Navy approximately $336 million to build.
What is the Largest Aircraft Carrier?
The USS Gerald Ford is the world’s largest aircraft carrier.
Once fully loaded, it has a total displacement of 100,000 tonnes.
What is the Smallest Aircraft Carrier?
The Italian Navy’s Giuseppe Garibaldi is the world’s smallest aircraft carrier.
It “only” weighs 27,000 tonnes.
How Much Does An Aircraft Carrier Cost?
Cost to Build
The average aircraft carrier costs between $5 billion to $10 billion to build.
The exact cost can depend on the carrier’s intended role, size, type, and the country manufacturing it.
Cost to Operate
The average annual operating cost of an aircraft carrier is $1.18 billion.
This results in an average daily operational cost of between $6 million to $8 million, depending on the carrier’s configuration and number of military personnel.
Cost to Maintain
An aircraft carrier can cost between $2 to $4 billion per 32 month maintenance cycle.
While the maintenance cost of aircraft carriers is not publicly disclosed, it likely varies according to the carrier’s size and complexity.
How Many Fighter Planes Does the U.S. Have?
As of late 2021, the United States Air Force (USAF) has 5,217 active aircraft, comfortably making it the largest air fleet in the world.
Perhaps surprisingly, the U.S. Navy has the second-largest air fleet in the world, with 3,700 aircraft.